In the winter of 1945 a group of sportsmen interested in the promotion of baseball for the amateur ball players in the state of Maryland held a series of meetings in Frederick, Hagerstown, and Baltimore. As a result of these meetings, it was agreed that an organization should be formed to give credit to all the state of Maryland baseball clubs who were outstanding in season play and bring them together for a fall play-off in order to determine a Maryland State Champion. Therefore, the Maryland State Baseball Association (MSBA) was formed. The elected officers at the time were : Edward w. Brooks, President; Charles "Pat" Duffy, Vice-President; A.F. Angleberger, Secretary; and E. Ellis Dieber, Treasurer.
Ed Brooks remained president of the organization he helped form until his death in 1968. At that time Charles M. Blackburn, Jr. became president and he remains so today. Through the years the Invitational Tournament was extended to include bordering states. In 1979 the association became incorporated in the State of Maryland.
The first MSBA Invitational Tournament came into being in the fall of 1946 with a trophy and the state flag being presented to the Frederick Hustlers. The flag, known as the Governor's Flag, was donated by the Governor of Maryland. This tournament later came to be known as the Maryland State-Eastern Seaboard Baseball Tournament. It is the aim and object of the MSBA to conduct Championship Tournaments annually, and to sponsor as many regional tournaments as each specific situation may require. Principles originally propounded by Edward W. Brooks fastly maintained by succeeding MSBA Leaders emphasize sports for sports' sake. The MSBA holds that true sportsmanship is the greatest lesson to be learned from athletic competition, and that amateur baseball is the best classroom for such lessons. Memories of the late Edward W. Brooks and our other deceased leaders will inspire those who survive to renewed efforts to advance the cause the departed ones so ably espoused.